We flew into Chicago on a Saturday morning and flew out on Tuesday evening. Since the flight was less than 2 hours, this allowed us 4 full days to explore the city. Since it has been a few months since our trip, I have forgotten some of the details (lucky for you) and so I will just give a brief itinerary of each day and share a few pictures.
Saturday -
Saturday -
Checked into hotel - We looked for the cheapest hotel in downtown. I have no beef in staying in a less nice place, considering we were there to be OUT of the hotel on this trip, and see the city. Caleb was successful in his search for the "perfect" cheap hotel for us. The name says it all...the Ohio House Motel. All kidding aside, it was actually a clean "no-frill" hotel in a great location with a great price tag. Only one problem. The rooms did not have air...so we had to open the windows for air...especially while sleeping at night. Considering it was Saturday night in the city...we heard loud noises and people shouting. So it was our first exposure to Caleb's Droid's "sound machine" app. God bless that app. Thus, problem diverted. And the hotel, a success.

Navy Pier - This is supposedly one of Chicago's top attractions. However, it was Caleb and my least favorite attraction of the trip. The pier was pretty much "dead," with almost all things closed...so maybe another trip on a warm Summer day would fare a better time to the Pier. Luckily our visit to the Pier gave us one of my favorite pictures of the trip...us in-front of Chicago's skyline...with Chicago's famous wind and all!
Magnificent Mile - One of the most famous and longest stretches in the United States of shopping. Caleb, nor I, are shoppers. At least not clothing shoppers. I actually do NOT like shopping for clothes. I know, strange. If I were "rich and famous" the one thing I know I'd love is to have someone shop for me and give me tons of options of clothes to wear...while at home. Sounds splendid. Regardless, we walked "the Magnificent Mile" store after store (which I think is actually two miles long) and went in a few of them. At the end of the 4-hour walk, we had each bought one thing, went in a few other extremely over-priced stores to gawk, and saw a really good mime. It was still fun though. Oh and we checked out the Chicago Tribune building, which has great architecture, and this random big Marilyn Monroe statute (which I "googled" later and found out was only a temporary placement in Chicago).
Chicago's Famous Deep-Dish Pizza - Our first night in Chicago, we looked up one of the original restaurant's to have ever served what today is called "Chicago Deep-Dish" pizza. We were fortunate to discover, the original creator of the pizza, opened his second restaurant, which was just a short walk from our hotel! We got there a little earlier for dinner and so didn't have to wait long. Good thing, because this place later on became packed! In short, I loved it. Caleb would prefer Roma's instead in Nashville. It was different than we were both expecting. I was expecting...I don't know...like deep-dish pizza..like at Pizza Hut. Uh, wrong! That's thick-crust pizza. Chicago Deep-Dish consists of a cornmeal crust in the form of a pie. Then, it has meat at the bottom, then cheese, then hunks of delicious tomatoes on top. No sauce. And basically the opposite of how we typically think of pizza toppings to be arranged. The tomatoes were the best part, which would explain Caleb's disregard for the pizza...

John Hancock Building's Observatory - Take 1. I say take 1, because after our first trip to the observatory, we had a take 2. We decided we wanted to go to the Observatory at night. The Observatory is the top floor of the John Hancock Building, which is the tallest Chicago building, surpassing the previously tallest building, the Sears Tower. At the observatory, you can view the city from way up-high. Well, you can...if it's not at night..and there isn't a party blocking off 2 of the 4 sides of the building! After this discovery, we asked if we could re-tour the observatory in the day and in full. Luckily, they were kind enough to agree and we re-visited the Observatory the morning of our last day of our trip (more to come).





Soldier Field- Caleb wanted us to go to the Field Museum on Sunday afternoon, as the Chicago Bears were playing home. The museum was directly beside the stadium, so of course we had to swing by and pay a visit outside the stadium during the game.





The Sky Deck at the Willis (previously Sears) Tower- One of my favorite things we did. We went at night, since we were planning to go back to the Observatory in daylight. We saw great night lights of the city. Very pretty. The coolest thing was the skydecks though...which are built-out windows on one-side of the building, which extend into the street. Very cool. And a little scary. I was surprised about how wimpy I was when I looked down at my feet and I could see the street below...(barf)



Ferris Wheel at Navy Pier- Caleb talked me into going back to the Pier at night...to ride the Ferris Wheel. The first ever Ferris Wheel was built for Chicago's World's Fair in the early 1900s. Luckily this isn't the actual one, but it's a replica of the original. Very windy...slow...chilly...ride.




Sunday-
Worship- Going to church in Chicago was a process. First, we had to find a church of Christ which started early enough so we would still have time afterward for sight-seeing during the day. We found a church right out of the city which started at 10 for worship. We hopped on the metro with our breakfast in hand...all the way to the end of the line...at Harlem. From there, we walked a few blocks (after being asked by a stranger if he could have my banana) and found the church right beside a field where a children's sport league had already started playing for the day. We get to church a little early, right at the end of class in the Auditorium. If you have figured out by now, this was an all-black church. Right before worship started, we met several of the members...all which were very kind..and about half of them asked "how did you get here!?"..."we can take you back to your hotel after worship so you won't have to ride the metro." We denied the offers. Sermon topic: Don't Let Sex Take You to Hell / Worship length: 2 1/2 hours.
Filed Museum- After eating our first and only "Chicago-style dog" while in Chicago, we went to the Field Museum, which was pretty interesting. Largest, complete dinosaur skeleton ever discovered...lots of mummies including Michael Jackson's look-alike...lots more...including a really good tribute exhibit to 9/11.


Soldier Field- Caleb wanted us to go to the Field Museum on Sunday afternoon, as the Chicago Bears were playing home. The museum was directly beside the stadium, so of course we had to swing by and pay a visit outside the stadium during the game.
Dinner- We had a really nice dinner at Zocalo. I did a google search and asked Caleb if he would like Spanish food. He was quite surprised when we got there and it wasn't Mexican. The place had really nice decor and great tapas!
Museum of Science and Industry- This museum sounds drab, but it was actually one of the best museums I have ever been to. After going through the museum for 5 hours, it was closing time and we were rushing to see all...German U-boat (submarine) from WWII...NASA/Space race exhibit...Interactive Weather exhibits...real, preserved bodies (erg), including little fetuses showing the growth cycles of development...(very interesting, yet slightly disturbing).



The Sky Deck at the Willis (previously Sears) Tower- One of my favorite things we did. We went at night, since we were planning to go back to the Observatory in daylight. We saw great night lights of the city. Very pretty. The coolest thing was the skydecks though...which are built-out windows on one-side of the building, which extend into the street. Very cool. And a little scary. I was surprised about how wimpy I was when I looked down at my feet and I could see the street below...(barf)
Ferris Wheel at Navy Pier- Caleb talked me into going back to the Pier at night...to ride the Ferris Wheel. The first ever Ferris Wheel was built for Chicago's World's Fair in the early 1900s. Luckily this isn't the actual one, but it's a replica of the original. Very windy...slow...chilly...ride.
Glenn's Diner for Dinner- We looked up restaurants which had been featured on one of our favorite Food Network shows, Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. One interested us...so we hopped on the metro out of the city. Of course, as with the entire weekend, I was the navigator. The restaurant was packed. Once we sat down and got our food, it was pretty good!
Tuesday (last day):









John Hancock Building's Observatory- We tried it out again. This time, first thing in the morning. Way better experience! We really enjoyed seeing the city from so high-up. Also we got an audio tour, so it was nice to hear fun-facts about the city.
Fun fact - One of the only buildings to survive the Great Fire of Chicago. See below.
Cloud Gate (a.k.a. The Bean)- I suprisingly loved this thing! I couldn't quit taking picures of it!





Wrigleyville- We went to see where the Chicago Cubs play. FYI, from the other side of the stadium is a gay community. Know your directions...we didn't but soon found out we had mistakenly left Wrigleyville...

United Center - Caleb's trip would not have been complete without seeing Michael.
in Summary -
-Don't judge a "motel" by its name...
-Science can be fun!
-Robitussin Hot-Chocolate is good!
-We walked a lot!
-When a man in Harlem asks for your banana, give it to him!
-When a woman in McDonald's asks for money, don't give her any!
-Figuring out how to get from point A to point B while hopping on-and-off metro (bus, underground, the "L" or elevated transit) is fun, exhausting, and at times...can start arguments.
-Chicago confirmed...my husband has zero sense of direction.
-Chicago pizza and Chicago dogs...oh give me more!!
-We loved Chicago!!!





No comments:
Post a Comment