Friday, May 27, 2011

Our Story, Part 2

Caleb first calls me on my drive back from home to Nashville on Memorial Day 2008. I don't really remember what we talked about that night on my drive back, nor for how long we talked. I just remember being happy he called.

That week, Caleb came over, I think, every week night. This went on for every week night, for the first two or three weeks. Same story each night. He would call and ask if he could come over...I would say yes...and then we would spend hours just sitting on my couch talking and laughing. Until early in the morning. With no TV on. Just us talking. I remember one of the first nights he came over, as he was leaving he stopped at the door and said, "You know, I would have never thought I would enjoy being around you so much." Now at first thought, that doesn't sound too sweet, but I think I knew what he meant, because I felt the same way. It was surprising at how easy, how fun, and how comfortable it was to be around Caleb. It just felt right.

I wasn't sure if he was ever going to ask me out...like on a date. I remember telling my girlfriends this and thinking if he didn't soon, I was going to have to take action. I wasn't sure what that action would be. It's like, I felt like he owed it to me to take me out! That's what you do when you are dating, you date! You do things! You go places! You don't just visit one another's house to sit and talk. But it never bothered me enough to do anything about it. Finally, I would say probably after 2 or 3 weeks of this almost every night coming over thing, Caleb officially asked me on our first date. It was a Saturday night. The plan was to...well I don't think I was ever told a plan, but said he would call me that day to let me know. This should have been my first sign. Caleb is not a planner! He called me earlier on that Saturday and told me there was going to have to be a change of plans (although seriously I don't think there ever really were plans). He and some friends had been at his parent's cabin the night before and he realized once he got back to Nashville...he had left his wallet. Okay here again people, early on, this was another sign! Caleb loses things. Or he misplaces them. Or he forgets items at people's houses. Or he drives off and leaves things on top of the car. Wow, if only I knew then what I should have seen the sign of! Caleb leaving his wallet at his parent's cabin wasn't a once-in-a-while type of thing. I would later find out, this is Caleb. Losing things. This is one of Caleb's attributes.

Anyway, back to the story. He calls and tells me he forgot his wallet and must drive back (almost 2 hours away) to retrieve it. He basically says he is sorry but, if I'm okay with it, I'm welcome to join him on his drive. As our date. That evening, I'm getting ready. I remember being nervous! It was my first "first date" that I had been excited to go on in years! I didn't have a roommate at the time and remember wishing I had one to tell me what to wear! I'm not sure what I did wear, but I do remember trying to look prettier than he had been seeing me look each late night! He picks me up. He tells me my eyes look pretty and he has never seen me with that much make-up on. Really? I had just put on some type of eyeshadow. That was really the only different thing I had done. But then I realize it's because typically he sees me for the first time at, oh, 10pm..and by then, all my make-up is gone!

Our first stop is for dinner. We go to Red Robin. I actually really do like this place...they have good burgers. Not a first-date type of place, but c'mon, this is not a first-date type of first date! We leave Red Robin...later stop by to get me coffee for the drive at a gas station. This should have been Caleb's sign. I love coffee! So we drive to the cabin. I don't remember what we really talked about. But I do remember, it was never awkward and never really silent. We just talked and drove. I also remember thinking, "have I done this before with him?!" It just seemed so normal...a typical Saturday-evening thing to do...to be in a car with him...and just talking. But it wasn't. It just felt right.

We get to the cabin and by this time, it's dark. I have already made the prediction by now, he is for sure going to kiss me tonight! It's the perfect spot! We are walking around in this dark cabin in the middle of who knows where....it's perfect! Nope. Caleb doesn't kiss me that night. This should have been another sign for me. Caleb is not a man of having perfect timing. His timing is never perfect! This has been proven over and over again to me during our dating history.

Our first kiss was probably a week later at, you guessed it, my house on the couch. Basically, I had had it with this guy! C'mon, dude, what is your problem?! When are you going to kiss me for crying out loud! If you know Caleb, he likes to talk to people really close to their face. He gets this from his daddy. I mean, they are tall, and they stoop over or lean in to get close to the face of the person they are talking to. Caleb had been playing that game for weeks now and I had had it! One evening while on the couch, when he got really close to my face to talk, I said, "are you going to kiss me or what?!" And that he finally did do. Finally.

No comments:

Post a Comment