Tuesday, December 28, 2010

"Your Taste Is Rarely On Sale." ~quote from Caleb

Buying a wedding dress. I have heard a lot of girls tell me this was their most fun part of planning for their wedding day. Yesterday was my day to find out whether this would prove true for myself or not. Thus far, I did not feel I had done a lot of planning and was anxious to get something checked off my list of to-dos! I had heard from several different people of a place in Arkansas called Lows Bridal. They were having their semi-annual sale and the first day of the sale was yesterday. I wanted to make sure we scheduled an appointment as early to the start of the sale as possible...in order to have the greatest chance of finding a dress 50% off.

The bridal store had said you could bring four people to your appointment. My mother of course was a shoo-in. Other than she, I had asked my aunt and cousin, Debra and Dedra, who will be big contributors to the planning and orchestrating of the wedding and I wanted them included on this special day as well. I had one spot left, so I figured I needed to bring a friend to ensure I had someone with more of my taste and style rather than only "mom taste." So I asked Vanessa, one of my bridesmaids and long-standing friends. She would be in Florence for Christmas and so it would be great for her to make the 4-hour trek with us as well. The day before our trip, Dedra's little girl, Lora Lei, started running a fever and so unfortunately and sadly, Dedra decided not to go. My Daddy decided to drive us to Arkansas as he had nothing else to do. Ha. That made my accompaniment of four.

Before the wedding dress shopping day, I had not looked for wedding dresses in any stores. I really haven't ever thought much about what my wedding dress would look like (or my wedding for that matter) up until a month or so before Caleb proposed to me. There were a few things I had thought I wanted in a wedding dress...the silhouette, the neckline, the material. Of course I will not mention the particulars of what I wanted nor what I got, as I do not want Caleb to know of anything until he sees me for the first time in my dress when I walk to him at the end of the aisle. But I will say, I had definitely formulated in my head (with aid of a few magazine pictures) what I would like in a wedding dress.

When we entered the bridal store, we were immediately greeted with approximately 30 wedding dresses of all styles on mannequins in the lobby. As I went to greet the front desk attendees, it didn't take Debra, Mama, or Vanessa very long at all to go through the dresses and find their favorites. I had shown them pictures of what I thought I wanted and also told them a few particulars. After greeting the front desk and signing in, I then too went to see what was on display. I browsed through, and was able to find a few immediately which I thought would be good to try on based on what I had envisioned. There was one I saw which was some-what different than what I was going for, but similar enough to catch my eye. I immediately said, "Oh I love that one."

Shortly thereafter, we were guided into the store and met the consultant, Carolyn, I would be spending the next 2 or so hours with. She seemed fair at first. I told her a few things I was looking for and off we went upstairs to first check out the sale dresses. All sales dresses were 50% off the tagged price and sold as-in. Basically, they were sample dresses which had been in the store. All four of us, with a little aid from Carolyn, shuffled through the bags of wedding dresses which we thought might be my size and was only able to find one which we thought might be something I would be interested in. Then I was told to take off my clothes right there, in the the standing room of all, and try on the dress. Needless to say, I was a little taken back there wouldn't be a dressing room at such a nice place. Carolyn informed me the upstairs sale dresses had no dressing rooms. Go figure. I guess you have to be considering spending $1000s before you get treated with some decency! I stripped down to my bra and panties; Carolyn commented on my panties which I thought was rude; and I stepped into the dress. The dress was way too big on me and the v-neckline plunged half-way down my stomach. Obviously, this would not work. I quickly realized, I was not going to be purchasing a sale dress that day.

We went downstairs to view the regular-priced dresses. There were rooms and rooms of dresses. We passed by girls here and there showing off what they were trying on to friends and family. I will say I was a little nervous. One, I get nervous over everything it seems these days. And two, I really wanted to find something I liked for a good price. I knew I was slipping quickly away from the good price wish. But I hoping I would find it that day. The search would be over! I could drive home in peace knowing I had a dress! I'd be one decision closer to getting married to Caleb! Thirdly, I was nervous as I am self-conscious over a few things and was hoping I could find something which would please me.

Carolyn was serious about sticking to the 1 1/2 hour appointment time. She was also serious about having us only pick out 3 dresses to try on at a time. I wasn't so sure about Carolyn. The first three we picked out was so quickly done, I wasn't necessarily excited nor sure any of the three she grabbed would work for me. She brought me to the dressing rooms (oh good), and asked Debra, Mama, and Vanessa to sit and wait for me. Daddy had remained in the lobby with a good book, as there was no need for him to be seeing all of this. I tried on the first dress and immediately knew it was a no win. Oh lest I forget, Carolyn first made me put on this terribly uncomfortable and unnecessary girdle thing with bra. I may not be perfect, but there is one thing I don't need and that's a girdle! I sure think I'm skinny enough already! I had purposefully worn a strapless bra to the appointment, and then I was forced to put this thing on instead! Oh and another thing, I'm glad I'm not that modest or embarrassed by my body! I asked Vanessa to come with us to the dressing room and Carolyn immediately shot that notion down and told her to join Debra and Mama. Carolyn had by no means won my heart during our brief engagement thus far.

I stepped outside of the dressing room and went to where they were sitting to show off the dress. It didn't look good. If it was up to me, I would have never left the dressing room and started on with the next dress. It was actually a beautiful dress and was one of the first ones we saw in the lobby. It looked great on a mannequin with boobs. It did not look good on me. Carolyn attempted to "fix the problem" and gave me silicon bra inserts to put in my dress. It didn't work. And even if it had, this dress was cut way too low. Next.

I tried the remaining two dresses...neither of which fulfilled anyone's fancy. I wasn't surprised, as Carolyn had picked them so quickly before I had even really had a chance to look them over and approve them prior to bringing into the dressing room. I know my body and my taste; I would have known both would never work.

So she then coerced me to try on a strapless dress and told me I needed to keep an open mind with what I wanted. Okay, Carolyn, let's try it on then! I did. It was actually a lot better looking on than the previous three, but it wasn't what I was looking for. Before stepping off the stool, where I had poised myself to show the dress off to everyone, Carolyn jammed this little comb with attached headpiece into my hair. It wasn't me at all and screamed "take me off." I felt bad to though, and so pranced in that thing, and a robe, and went back into the lobby to show Carolyn the three or so dresses we had saw when we first entered the store that we liked and wanted me to try on.

I was a lot more excited to try these three dresses on. I had seen them when I first entered the store and knew I actually liked all three. When we entered the dressing room, Carolyn asked me which one I wanted to try on first. I pointed to one and then pointed to another one and told her I wanted to save that one for last. I tried on the next two dresses and they were the best ones I had tried on so far. Especially the first one of the group, which all of us girls really liked. I told Carolyn we could hold on to that one. It was then time for me to try on the third one I had said I wanted to save for last. I knew I liked it the best. It was the one I saw in the lobby which was enough of what I was looking for to catch my eye, but different enough to be exciting! I put it on and immediately knew it was my favorite. It was 2 sizes too big for me, so Carolyn had to clip the back to make it fit closer to my body. I glided into the room to show the others. "Do you like it?" My mother said it was beautiful and Vanessa really liked it as well. She said she had never seen a dress like it. Debra was the one who didn't really like it in the lobby but then said "well it looks a lot better on." Ha. I guess that was a good thing. It was hard for me to see how it would really look on me, in my size, as the sample one, even with clips on the back, still wasn't quite my size. But I did love it. It was beautiful, yet a little different. I kept asking everyone what they thought and soon realized, "Oh my, I think we will buy this one." I got really nervous and asked Carolyn, if she was sure they didn't have a sample in my size and also in the color I wanted (the one I tried on was not the color I wanted). Carolyn confirmed this was the only sample of this dress in the store. I then decided I wanted Daddy to see me in it.

Mama went and got Daddy from the lobby and as soon as I saw him entering the room and coming toward me, my stomach dropped and I felt nervous. He said he thought it was really pretty...but of course what else would he say. I asked if he thought Caleb would like it, and he remarked that he thought Caleb would like anything I had on. All of the sudden I was filled with emotion and I started crying. I told Daddy he had made me nervous when I saw him. I looked around and my mother and aunt Debra had already started crying as well. Vanessa looked touched. My hard Daddy didn't blink a lash, but I like to think he was touched as well.

I tried on one last dress in the color I wanted to order the dress in, just to see what it looked like on. I liked my chosen color a lot better and decided then, let's do it! We ordered the dress and they tell us it should come in within 4 months. I pray it's a lot sooner than that, as I am now so anxious to see it on me in my actual size and color.

On the drive home, Vanessa asked me how I felt now that I had a dress. I must say it makes me even more excited and makes the wedding seem even more real and approaching; however, I am nervous. It seemed like such a quite decision for such a big purchase. But they all say we made the right decision and I will love it even more once mine gets here! I texted Caleb to let him know I had found a dress, but unfortunately not one on sale. His response was amusing: "I would not expect you to have found the one you like on sale. Your taste is rarely on sale."
Well, I figure, it's probably best he knows that now. :)

http://lowsbridal.com/index.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment